Book Reviews

Potency by Aubrey Hadley

Firstly, let’s take a moment to notice the beautiful cover. It’s quite stunning; I love the double exposure. The cover for my next novel has double exposure as well. Silver (the Omega #1).

But about the content.42978463

Okay, I’ll be honest. DNF at 23%. The book is 620 pages and I was already bored by 10%. I kept telling myself that maybe it would get better, but it was pretty consistent. Now don’t get me wrong, I’m sure there are some people who will enjoy this book. It just wasn’t for me.

The characters were rather pale. Harper didn’t have very much strength. She went with the flow and didn’t really do anything remarkable. I also wonder if her mom’s strictness was a touch overdone. As for Max, he creeped me out and I was not impressed by his excessive use of swear words.

I think what really got me, though, was the plot. Things moved like molasses in January and I there were a lot of scenes that could have been shortened or entirely cut out. The writing did not pique my interest either. “My stomach lurched in that way it did when something really annoying happened. Like stepping on dog crap in new shoes.” I don’t know, I’m not a huge fan of that one. 😛

So, unfortunately, I do not recommend this book.

Thank you to NetGalley for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Book Reviews

The Darkest Star by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Where I do I begin? Perhaps with a little background… I’ve looked at Armentrout’s books before, but I’ve never actually picked one up to read. They have rather good reviews so when I saw “The Darkest Star” on Netgalley, I requested it.

I want to say it started out good but… Here, I’ll share a quote from the first chapter.

“My lips parted on a soft inhale. The reaction was startling and embarrassing. I sort of wanted to smack myself, but in my defense, the guy was stunning, the kind of beauty that almost didn’t seem real at first.”

Shall I continue? It gets better.

“Messy brown hair toppled his forehead in waves and curls. Even from where I was standing, I could tell that his face knew no bad angle, the kind of face that needed no filter. Impossibly high and broad cheekbones were paired with a carved, square jaw. His mouth really was a work of art…”

Related image

Okay, I’ll stop now.

After reading this only 2% of the way through, my skepticism skyrocketed. Things didn’t get better and I stopped at 47%.

What I did like: The idea of the Luxen and Origins was quite interesting – it has a lot of potential. To me, it is a unique twist to the whole “aliens from another planet inhabiting earth.”  

However, the characters weren’t compelling since they lacked depth. Evie wasn’t very smart and had few interests so this gave her little to no personality. Luc, I felt like I didn’t get to know him because every other description mentions his insanely good looks. I care more about who he is than what he looks like. The dialogue between the characters, especially Luc and Evie, did not flow nicely and was riddled with sarcasm and sassiness. At first, I let it slide since it gave the characters some fire, but simply put, it was overdone. Further, the writing contained minimal flourishes. It wasn’t a work of art, it was vague shapes and lines. I expected more from an author who has so many published titles.

And lastly, this was not at all a clean read. The characters swore frequently and up to 47% there wasn’t any sex, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the other 53% contains it.

Altogether, I do not recommend this book and I don’t think I will read any other books from this author either.

I received a complimentary copy of this book through NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.